There’s no limit to the number of refreshing beverages you can make with matcha tea. Some are super tasty, some are very easy to make, and some are both – and may even win your heart. Matcha Tonic, a spin on the famous Espresso Tonic, is both delicious and amazingly refreshing. Try it once, and you will undoubtedly want to sip it daily.
This easy summer drink is fun to make, and you will only need three ingredients – a lot of ice, original tonic water and matcha tea.
What is Matcha Tonic?
Matcha Tonic is matcha tea served with an icy cold tonic water. Matcha tea is wonderful both hot and cold – it’s packed with antioxidants, contains high amounts of caffeine and L-theanine, and it’s less bitter and delightfully refreshing.
The first ingredient you will need to make Matcha Tonic is a high-quality matcha. The best matcha to choose is the vibrant Ceremonial Grade matcha or the all-purpose matcha suitable for lattes and traditional preparation. Sweet and slightly grassy refreshing notes will pair very well with tonic.
The second ingredient you will need is tonic water. Brands like Schweppes and Fever Tree will work very well. To make the best tasting drink, always choose the ingredients you would drink on its own. If they taste good with no condiments or other ingredients, they will taste great in this drink too.
Do you need a sweetener for Matcha Tonic?
Matcha Tonic doesn’t need any sweetener – a grassy vibrant and slightly sweet matcha flavor pairs incredibly well with a slightly bitter and sweet tonic. If you want a truly refreshing summer beverage, we recommend drinking it with no sweetener. However, if you find the taste not sweet enough, the best sweeteners are those that will dissolve well in cold water – such as simple syrup.
Does Matcha Tonic contain caffeine?
Yes, all matcha powders contain caffeine. Expect around 30 mg of caffeine per gram of powder. This recipe requires about 2 grams of matcha powder. Each matcha is different, so the total amount of caffeine will vary from type to type.
Easy Matcha Tonic Recipe
You can either make a simple Matcha Tonic, or you can add additional flavor notes such as citruses or mint. This recipe will take less than 5 minutes to make, so you can start sipping it in no time.
Ingredients for making Matcha Tonic:
- ½ teaspoon of matcha powder
- 50 ml of boiled water, cooled down to 176°F
- ¾ glass of tonic – around 200-250 ml, depending on the size of your glass
- Enough ice to fill the glass
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
Utensils for making Matcha Tonic:
- Small cup or a bowls for preparing matcha
- Drinking glass for serving
- Frother or matcha whisk
How to make Easy Matcha Tonic
- Bring fresh water to a boil, open the kettle lid, and let it cool down for about 3-5 minutes.
- Gently rub the inside of the glass with fresh mint leaves. (optional)
- Fill the glass with ice. You will need approximately 6-7 large ice cubes for a 250-300 ml glass.
- Add tonic.
- Measure about ½ teaspoon of matcha tea powder and sift it into a clean, completely dry cup. Always sift matcha to prevent lumps.
- Add 50 ml of hot water.
- Froth it with an electric frother for about 30 seconds.
- Pour matcha over tonic.
Tip: If you are using a matcha whisk instead, sift matcha into a bowl, rather than into a cup. Cup will be too small to use matcha whisk properly.
When to drink Matcha Tonic?
Once you try it, you will want to enjoy Matcha Tonic on every occasion. It’s perfect for summer garden parties, or as an afternoon refreshment on a hot summer’s day. This refreshing drink will stay icy cold and look amazing all the way until you drink it up.